SPICY EGGS, BACON AND KALE
6 slices of thick cut bacon, roughly chopped (we use homegrown! No nitrates added)
1 small sweet onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bunches kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
1 ½ cup chicken stock
4 farm fresh eggs (aka, chicken butt nuggets)
2 tsp. black pepper
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
- Fry bacon pieces in a large skillet (cast iron preferred) until crispy. Remove from skillet, leaving drippings.
- Cook onions and garlic in bacon grease until opaque. Add additional oil if necessary.
- Add bunches of kale, half at a time as space in skillet allows.
- Add chicken stock and let simmer until kale is soft; about 5 minutes.
- Create four small wells in the kale and crack one egg into each well.
- Season entire mixture with black pepper, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice.
- Cover pan and allow eggs to cook until desired doneness. Turn off heat immediately, sprinkle on bacon, and serve.
This recipe and article originally appeared in a 2016 issue of The Piedmont Virginian Magazine, written by Amy Fewell.