There’s nothing worse than a hard, non-edible sugar cookie. That’s why this Christmasy soft and chewy sugar cookie recipe is my go to recipe each and every year. It’s the easiest soft sugar cookie recipe you’ll ever make, and maybe the best sugar cookies, too. They melt in your mouth, they’re chewy, and they are oh so delicious. Childhood relived. If you’re looking for a cookie that perfectly keeps it’s shape…this probably isn’t for you, though it holds up well. But if you’re looking for comfort food at its finest? Ya’ll, you need this soft sugar cookie in your life.
I’m always looking for an easy sugar cookie recipe, and this one has never disappointed. It’s a simple soft sugar cookie recipe that is great for your kids to help with as well!
The Secret to Soft Sugar Cookies
Before we get started with the recipe, let me let you in on a little secret. There’s an art to making super soft and chewy sugar cookies. It’s simple, really. But something that most people don’t think about.
What’s the secret?
Cream your butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
So many people cream their butter and sugar together, but don’t take it to the point where it lightens a bit in color, and becomes extra fluffy. Don’t be that person, man. Embrace the fluff!
How to Make Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
Now we’re ready to make soft and chewy sugar cookies. I’ll even include a quick glaze recipe for you!
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
6 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups flour, unbleached
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl or your stand mixer until fluffy and mixed well.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter and sugar mixture, mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Remove dough from the bowl and place in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 to 3 hours.
- Roll dough onto a floured or sugared surface, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into cookies.
- Place cookies onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes. Cookies should look only slightly undone before removing from the oven.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack, then drizzle with icing glaze.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbs softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 to 4 tbs milk
- Sift powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk together until completely smooth.
- Drizzle over cookies, breads, and other desserts.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Watch me make them here!
Amy K. Fewell is an author, family herbalist, entrepreneur, homesteader, and homemaker. Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, her and her family live a natural homesteading lifestyle where they promote self-sufficiency and liberty. Amy is the founder of the Homesteaders of America organization and annual events. You can discover more on this website and at homesteadersofamerica.com