One of my all time favorite cookies is the chocolate crinkle cookie. I can remember, as a kid, always trading for the chocolate crinkle cookies at lunch time, because they weren’t a cookie that my mom or grandma ever made. I’m not sure why they didn’t make them, but I knew they were something special. That fudgey, gooey inside is enough to make the soul happy any day of the year. But it’s especially inviting during the holidays.
Now that I’m an adult, chocolate crinkle cookies are always on my list to make during the holidays. They are my absolutely favorite. But I learned something new—you can make them better. Right!? I didn’t know it was possible either, but it totally is! My secret ingredient? Peppermint essential oil (or extract).
Using Peppermint Essential Oil
If you’re not comfortable using peppermint essential oil in your cooking, you can substitute a couple of drops of peppermint extract instead. Or, you can even crush up candy canes and add them to your cookie batter. I, however, love the depth of peppermint essential oil in this cookie recipe. Just make sure you’re using the brand that I love and trust the most.
A little bit of essential oil goes a long way. Because essential oils are extremely potent, you’ll only need to add about 2 drops of the peppermint essential oil. Taste the batter before baking, just in case. You know, quality control!
It is absolutely safe to ingest essential oils when they are used in baking. In fact, you’ve been consuming essential oils in your food long before now. Essential oils are in everything—from the lip balm you use on your lips, to the bag of candy you just bought at the store. We’ve been using, and ingesting, essential oils for decades. But now we can learn how to bake and cook with them ourselves! Trust me, it’s so good in this recipe.
How to Make Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Now that I’ve got your taste buds woken up, lets get down to the recipe! It’s simple, delicious, and one you’ll share for generations!
- 1 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 to 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar (for coating)
- In a bowl or a stand mixer, add cacao powder, sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs. Combine well.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Combine well.
- Slowly add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix completely.
- Once combined, while continuing to stir, add in 2 to 5 drops of peppermint essential oil. Start with 2, take a taste, and then add more if necessary.
- Place your dough in a bag or on parchment paper, wrap tightly, and place in the fridge for several hours (at least 4). Or, if you’re in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1-2 hours to chill.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar. You’ll use this to dip your cookie dough into.
- Roll dough into 1 to 2-inch balls, drop and coat in confectioner’s sugar, and place onto the cookie sheets about 2-inches apart. The dough will spread as the cookies bake.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over bake!
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and allow to set for 20 minutes.
And that’s it! You can enjoy these delicious peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies anytime of year. But they are super great and easy for the holidays, and for gifts! Enjoy!